Call for Applications! Cultural Access Collaborative Steering Committee
Term: September 1, 2023 – June 30, 2025
Cultural Access Collaborative seeks new members for its Steering Committee. You may apply by May 1, 2023. This is an unpaid, volunteer position.
What is the Cultural Access Collaborative?
Founded in 2013, we are a volunteer-run nonprofit composed of cultural administrators and representatives from the disability community with a mission to empower Illinois’ cultural spaces to become more accessible to visitors with disabilities. Learn more at: CulturalAccessCollab.org
What is the role of the Cultural Access Collaborative Steering Committee?
Collaborative Steering Committee members are responsible for:
- Supporting the growth of accessibility and inclusion in Illinois’ cultural organizations, including the Collab’s ongoing professional development workshops, equipment loan program, accessible program calendar, and providing resources to support accessibility efforts.
- Facilitating a safe space for representatives from disability communities and cultural spaces to learn from each other and grow in their understanding of cultural accessibility.
- Advocating for connectivity and ally-ship across cultural sectors, in order to foster independent partnerships and resource-sharing beyond the Collaborative.
- Attend and contribute to monthly Steering Committee meetings via video conference. All meetings are currently being conducted remotely.
- Cultivate program offerings in collaboration with Steering Committee colleagues. Our Professional Development programming calendar typically runs September through June.
- Attend and support a majority of our programs each year. Programs are currently being conducted virtually, as well as in-person in the Chicagoland area. As we grow our engagement, we anticipate finding opportunities to host select in-person programming and networking events across the Illinois region.
- Participate in at least one Support Team, such as Equipment Loan, Access Calendar, Community Outreach, etc.
- Be prepared to conduct business via email, responding promptly to Collab-related email messages within (2) business days.
- Be willing and able to serve a 2-year term. Steering Committee members may serve multiple terms.
Ideal candidates will:
- Have experience with program creation and implementation, knowledge of accessibility technology, and/or administrative skills.
- Have professional and/or personal experience with disability and accessibility at cultural institutions. Cultural Access Collaborative values the experiences of people who have disabilities; individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Have a passion for making and advocating for cultural spaces to be more accessible
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills from start to finish of assigned tasks.
- Are team players able to work in a cooperative fashion, and who are also self-starters.
- Have a positive “can-do” attitude – key for this volunteer role.
We are offering two “Ask Me Anything” info sessions for prospective applicants curious to learn more about the Steering Committee’s application process, professional development planning, equipment loan program management, the access calendar, and other opportunities to engage.
- Session One: Thursday, March 30th from 4:00 to 5:00 PM Central Time (Learn more) (Register)
- Session Two: Tuesday, April 11th from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM Central Time (Learn more) (Register)
Cultural Access Collaborative Steering Committee Application
Please complete the Steering Committee Application Google Form and attach your resume/cv where prompted. Note that this submission process does require a Google email address. If you require any assistance or are unable to submit your form electronically, please contact Info@CulturalAccessCollab.Org
Thank you! Submissions will be reviewed by June 30, 2023 and candidates may be contacted for a follow-up interview. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Info@CulturalAccessCollab.org or call us at 419-262-1886.
Regardless of outcome, all applicants will be informed by email when decisions have been reached, no later than August 15, 2023.